Re: lynx-dev problem with lynx with a rpm address

From: Stephane Payrard
Subject: Re: lynx-dev problem with lynx with a rpm address
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 02:23:45 +0200

more on my problem:

> Alternatively, try using the Lynx download command which is always a binary
> transfer for Unix http, use k for a list..

Thanks but no thanks. ;-(
I figure that one out.

But that will not help for my specific case: lynx lauched from an
external tool (here xemacs) with the URL as argument.  I may interrupt
the transfer with ^G but I can't get to the URL to use the download.

I am a die hard :I don't want to know about my mouse and play cut and
paste. Guess why I choosed lynx?  ;-)

Still assuming that the remote server announces the bin file as text:
It is loaded as such. If lynx does not exit on error (complaining
about /dev/audio!), when saving (trhru print, save to file) the file, it
gives a corrupt rpm and sure enough, like always with rpm, the error
message hints in the wrong direction.

rpm -U bzip2-0.1pl2-3.i386.rpm
only packages with major numbers <= 3 are supported by this version of RPM
error: bzip2-0.1pl2-3.i386.rpm cannot be installed

After a while, I made a connection between my problems.
I had loaded these rpm files using lynx! And that was not
easy. then I remembered that binary/ascii confusion.

Every one is wrong on that one:
  -the server for pretending the .rpm to be text
  -lynx for  accepting to save (trhru print, save to file -- ununtuitive
                              that one, it took me a while to figure out)
    without some warning of some sort that the user is
    not saving what he thinks to save.
  -rpm for not doing sanity check on the file
  -xemacs for not providing a good enough default lynx wrapper
    (in the like of   xterm -e sh -c "lynx whatever; sleep 100")
   to leave  time to see lynx error message
   (hopefully my 486 is slow enough)

  ... and me for not being St Thomas and believing every word
      of flawed or ill-configured tools ... and chasing
     everywhere  as a consequence a new imaginary version of RPM

     stef