Re: lynx-dev Incorrect content-type-headers

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Incorrect content-type-headers
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 18:00:11 -0400 (EDT)

980619 Ari Moisio wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Michael Warner wrote:
>> Wrong head, I think - a HEAD request (']') shows text/plain.
> That's the problem. I do not know how to force Lynx to render the page
> as html when the page is retrieved from server.  Now when i download it
> to local disk and then look it it looks OK but i lose all links.
> If i insert <base href=http://www.nkl.fi";> in the beginning of local copy
> i can follow links but retrieved pages are still html source.

thanx to both for educating me, one of my reasons for following lynx-dev.
apparently, a head request asks for information from the server,
not details of the source from the beginning of the page.
when i enter  ]  for the CUCS home page which i maintain,
there is a very similar set of lines in the response,
but i have nothing to do with controlling them; they do announce  text/html .

so a further question: does the server vary its response here
according to something in the page in question
or does it respond the same way for all pages it handles,
which would seem to be very awkward?

> The problem stays: how to force Lynx to render the page as html
> despite mime-headers?

is this something Lynx could & should provide for?