Re: lynx-dev Incorrect content-type-headers

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Incorrect content-type-headers
Date: 20 Jun 1998 11:15:48 -0600

PW> so a further question: does the server vary its response here
PW> according to something in the page in question or does it respond
PW> the same way for all pages it handles, which would seem to be very
PW> awkward?

It depends on the particular http server in question.  Most servers
set MIME content types based on extensions, though others set them
based on local file-type (Mac) or based on a catalog of files and
types, or on magic number.

>> The problem stays: how to force Lynx to render the page as html
>> despite mime-headers?

PW> is this something Lynx could & should provide for?

I'm not sure it's something Lynx should provide for, though it
certainly could.  Maybe just more agressive behavior for -force-html.
It should definately be only something invoked conciously by the user
when needed, or else we fall into the MSIE evil of pretending to know
better than the server what type a file is.

| Jason F. McBrayer              address@hidden |
| The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |
| forever.                    R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |