Re: lynx-dev downloading portions of a document

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev downloading portions of a document
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 23:23:00 -0400 (EDT)

980618 Juntung Wu wrote:
> Is there any way I can configure Lynx (or any other browser)
> to download only the first sections of an HTML document?
> I am trying to allow my students to download *lots* of lecture timetables
> and similar data, but the HTML has a Java script and comments
> which I need to stay on the document, but don't need students to download.
> Is there any way I can tell Lynx to just download say the first 15k
> or first  30 %  of a document and then move on to the next document?

you certainly can't do that with Lynx,
but your students can use  z  to interrupt the download
when they see enough has arrived:
i do it frequently with Financial Times,
whose pages have a lot of repetitive links following the story,
regularly taking up  c 33 %  of the bytes.

you could look into  wget , which has many powerful features:
get it from  ftp://gnjilux.cc.fer.hr/pub/unix/util/wget/ ;
there's also  htget  from  www.ensta.fr/internet/unix/www/htget.html .

is the chestnut tree still safely growing on the other side of High St?