Re: lynx-dev "Looking up ... "

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: lynx-dev "Looking up ... "
Date: 23 Jun 1998 23:32:42 -0600

PW> my long-felt desire is to have Lynx cache IP addresses it has
PW> looked up: eg during my daily reading of the vast Financial Times
PW> site not infrequently Lynx will stop while it performs as above,
PW> despite the fact that it has been visiting www.ft.com/ for >= 1 hr
PW> .  surely it would be easy for IP addresses to be saved once
PW> obtained & endure thro'out any Lynx session?

This is going to be one of those modularity/unix-way vs
all-in-one/windows-way flame wars unless we nip it in the bud.  Okay,
ideally, your nameserver ought to be cacheing those IP addresses.  If
it's not, then it would be next-to-ideal for you to run a
cacheing-only nameserver on your local machine.  Another option/point
to bear in mind is that proxy caches may cache IP addresses; squid
does, for example.

Someone is bound to jump in and say "I can't run a nameserver or a
proxy cache on my windows machine".  I'm not sure what to say to
this.  I assume that commercial "web accelerators" for windows (which
are generally just proxy caches) cache IP addresses.  That leaves out
only DOS users, and I don't have a good solution for them.  Maybe
cacheing IP addresses would be okay in lynx as a compile-time option,
but it seems to me to be a big can of worms that's bettter handled at
some other level than by the application.

| Jason F. McBrayer              address@hidden |
| The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |
| forever.                    R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |