Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx 2.7.1

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx 2.7.1
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 16:31:02 -0700

T.E.Dickey wrote:

> > (regarding lynx 2.8 on SCO openserver)
> > > I think he just has to compile it (Bela indicated that 2.8 was either
> > > working ok or did with minor tweaks)

I grab a new distribution of Lynx every 5-10 increments of the minor
number.  They all build quite easily on OpenServer.

(Doug Kaufman:)

> > Bela can probably answer this better than I, but my understanding is
> > that Openserver frequently ships without a development system at all. In
> > the past you had to buy the development system separately for SCO
> > systems, but the current system ships with headers. A binary gcc is
> > available from the skunkware distribution, so anyone could put together
> > their own development system. This may be a lot, however, for users who
> > just want to use lynx and have never set up a development system on
> > their machines.

Correct.  It isn't difficult to put together a working gcc-based
development system, but it's a bit much to ask of an average user, as a
prelude to compiling Lynx.

> ok - I didn't know what configurations Openserver ships with - the last I
> looked closely at SCO's stuff was wrt the 'free' licensing (free for
> non-commercial/educational use), but decided to not get involved since I
> maintain a port to a SCO box at work and that would probably disqualify me
> under the licensing terms (plus 400Mb for a minimum system seemed a bit
> much).

Actually, that makes you one of the primary target audiences for Free
OpenServer.  You're *supposed* to be able to take home your CD from
work, apply a Free Unix license to it, and install.  So you can learn on
your own time without having to pay for a home license.  You would be
violating the license if you "did work" on it, i.e. if you were working
on stuff that is part of your paying job.  Of course there's lots of
fuzziness.  If they pay you more for knowing more about the OS, and you
learned more about it on the free system -- that's 100% OK, that's what
the whole program is for.  If you work at home and write your company's
next big application, which they then sell for profit (or use to run
their internal operations), that would be a clear violation.  If you
occasionally use it to PPP in to the work network and fix a mucked up
printer queue, that's probably fine.  Use your common sense.