Re: lynx-dev using elm for mailto:

From: John Poltorak
Subject: Re: lynx-dev using elm for mailto:
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 98 1:38:19 +0000

> JP> I'd like to use elm to process a <mailto:>, but only manage to get the
> JP> internal mail editor to start.
>
> JP> There is the line:-
>
> EXTERNAL:mailto:lxmail %s:TRUE
>
> JP> in my LYNX.CFG. How do I manage to invoke this function?
>
> You should put lxmail.cmd in your path; it's in the OS/2 binary
> distribution, but it's just a one-liner in REXX that fiddles the URL
> into a bare address.  Then, type '.' to run the EXTERNAL on a mailto:
> link, just as if you were to use wget on an http: link.

I'm not clear as to how EXTERNAL gets invoked. I thought the '.' was
to signify end of data as far as sendmail was concerned. Not had
chance to try wget from within LYNX yet, but hope to soon, along with
NcFTP.

> JP> BTW does any here use mutt? I had a play with it once and liked it,
> JP> but it wasn't fully useable under OS/2. If anyone come across a
> JP> working version for OS/2 please let me know.
>
> I've been playing with the idea of porting it,

A port is available from:-

http://www.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au/~dunc/software/mutt/

This includes binaries, source and makefiles, but I could never build
the thing myself. Maybe the use of AutoConf would sort out the
problems I had... The binary worked sufficiently to make me
interested, but I have been unable to contact the author for several
months to see if he has any plans for further work on his OS/2 port.

> but I use GNUS for mail, so wouldn't really get that much use out of
> it.

I have heard of GNUS, that's about all, but I'd like to take a
look. Where can I get more details?

--
John