lynx-dev why reload to save? and other questions

From: Stephane Payrard
Subject: lynx-dev why reload to save? and other questions
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 01:35:10 +0200

Lynx is now my preferred tool to browse the Web.  So expect me to
complain about it :) I would not complain if I was not using it.  And
I don't bother to criticize brain-dead stuff. BTW I have upgraded to
2.8.1dev.17
No need to cc anymore, I just subscribed to lynx-dev.

BTW: I appreciated very much "Lynx Help for Beginners" that is now
 in my bookmark

1/ When getting to an interesting page, I want to save it in its original
 format. I must reload it using the 'd' binding. I find this most
 inconvenient because the very reason I use lynx is to save costly
 french telecom time.

2/ lynx does not keep open FTP connexions, so it connects every time
  It access a page on a given server.  This is a bummer because many
  servers are long to accept a connexion but snappy to answer once
  connected.

3/ Is there a way to start lynx in download mode instead
  with display mode. For example I got an URL that points
  to a binary that I want to download?

3/ When started from another tool with a wrong URL, it
  exits.  I would expect a more gracious fail. Indeed, very often
  everything but the last component are ok.
  say, if I try to access   http://www.foo.org/~hacker/rpms/nerdtool-1.0
  and that nerdtool-1.0 has been removed, I would
  like to have  http://www.foo.org/~hacker/rpms displayed to
  see whatever new version of nerdtool is available.

Thanks

__
  stef