Re: lynx-dev A Fatal error has occurred in Lynx Ver. 2.8rel.2

Subject: Re: lynx-dev A Fatal error has occurred in Lynx Ver. 2.8rel.2
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 08:01:12 -0400 (EDT)

On 2 Jul 1998 address@hidden wrote:

> using lynx 2.8 with lynx-28-ssl.patch (March 9, 1998) applied,
>
> Lynx now exiting with signal:  11

Matt-

I've seen this happen while using SSLeay 0.9.0 (and 0.9.0a and probably
0.9.0b as well).  The problem is that these versions of SSLeay support
TLS, but SSLeay 0.8.1 doesn't, and gets really cranky when it's asked if
it does.  The scenario works something like this: You try to connect to a
site that's using a cranky version of SSLeay (try https://www1.viaweb.com/
or https://ssl3.c2.net/ [this one is a surprise] using Lynx built with
SSLeay 0.9.0 for its SSL support - you'll get a segmentation fault, as
above).

The obvious solution to this problem is to get people to upgrade their
servers, but I know that's not feasible - Stronghold shipped with this
problematic SSLeay (which wasn't problematic at the time), and although
the upgrade to a more recent server is probably free for the bulk of these
people, it's not always the case that upgrades go quickly (or at all).

As a result, I'm going to be adding something to the source for the patch
that should allow it to manually fall back to SSL3 (or maybe even SSL2),
or at least print a warning without segmentation faulting if the
connection doesn't succeed.  In the mean time, you can also downgrade to
SSLeay 0.8.1.  It doesn't cause any problems, because it doesn't support
TLS at all.

-Mox

--
Mark Mentovai