Re: lynx-dev Flow Chart

From: Liam Davis
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Flow Chart
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 23:34:36 +0100

In article <address@hidden>, Philip Webb
<address@hidden> writes
>980702 Adrian Ariyanayagam wrote:
>> I don't mean a flow chart that encompasses all revisions & features
>> added to lynx since its birth.  What I'm looking for is something
>> that outlines the basic interaction and flow between the core objects.
>> Does such a thing exist?
>
>there's no flow chart of the type you want,
>but it would be useful if someone took the trouble to create one:
>that's how Lynx gets developed in real life.

I have recently compiled Lynx 2-8 on VMS, which has a code analysis tool
called SCA (source code analyser). The C compiler produces analysis data
files. SCA collects these in a library and has a query language that can
be used to manipulate the data in various ways.

Below are some samples of the sort of output that can be produced.

The full listings quite large, so I am not including all of them here,
but I can e-mail the Zip files or ftp them somewhere if they are of
interest.

Header (include) file usage sample (Zipped = 3K):

HTFTP.H
    [LYNX2-8.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]HTFILE.C;1
    [LYNX2-8.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]HTFTP.C;1
    [LYNX2-8.SRC]LYMAINLOOP.C;1
    [LYNX2-8.SRC]LYOPTIONS.C;1
    [LYNX2-8.SRC]LYRCFILE.C;1
HTFWRITER.H
    [LYNX2-8.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]HTFILE.C;1
    [LYNX2-8.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]HTFORMAT.C;1
    [LYNX2-8.SRC]HTFWRITER.C;1
HTGOPHER.H
    [LYNX2-8.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]HTGOPHER.C;1

Calling hierarchy (Zipped = 6K):
-------------------------------

main function calls
   cleanup procedure calls
   .  cleanup_files procedure calls
   .  .  free procedure
   .  .  tempname procedure
   .  fclose function
   .  fflush function
   .  free procedure  (See above)
   .  lynx_stop_all_colors procedure calls
   .  .  wclrattr function
   .  stop_curses procedure calls
   .  .  endwin function
   .  .  fflush function  (See above)
   .  .  lynx_enable_mouse procedure
   .  ttclose function calls
   .  .  LIB$ENABLE_CTRL function

Another version of calling hierarchy (Zipped = 31K):

main
    25353 [LYNX2-8.SRC]LYMAIN.C;1
                           function definition declaration
   cleanup
    20562 [LYNX2-8.SRC]LYCLEAN.C;1
                           void function definition declaration
    26563 [LYNX2-8.SRC]LYMAIN.C;1
                           call reference
    27287 [LYNX2-8.SRC]LYMAINLOOP.C;1
                           call reference
    27383 [LYNX2-8.SRC]LYMAINLOOP.C;1
                           call reference
    28162 [LYNX2-8.SRC]LYMAINLOOP.C;1
                           call reference
    28298 [LYNX2-8.SRC]LYMAINLOOP.C;1
                           call reference
    28337 [LYNX2-8.SRC]LYMAINLOOP.C;1
                           call reference
    21714 [LYNX2-8.SRC]LYSTRINGS.C;1
                           call reference
   .  cleanup_files
    20554 [LYNX2-8.SRC]LYCLEAN.C;1
                           void function definition declaration
    20601 [LYNX2-8.SRC]LYCLEAN.C;1
                           call reference

SCA can produce all sorts of other listings - suggestions welcome, and I
will see if I can produce them. [No promises ... and of course the
listings won't be totally accurate for DOS and Unix]
--
Liam Davis
address@hidden