Re: lynx-dev Lynx Help for Beginners

From: Roger Hill
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx Help for Beginners
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 18:11:56 -0400 (GMT+4)

On Sat, 4 Jul 1998, Philip Webb wrote:

> *** NBB *** i have changed the name of the file to  lhfb.html :
> ie goto  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/lhfb.html .
>
> please everyone, have a look & tell me if anything is inaccurate

Minor nits:

Numbered links:

     * You can number the links in each document:
       enter `o' for Options, then `k' for Keypad Mode.
     * If links are numbered, you can get a document just by entering
       its link number: eg `123' takes you straight to URL [123];
     * you can simply move the hilite to a link
       without downloading the document by entering eg `123g' ;
     * `123p' takes you to the top of page 123 in the current document.
       you can goto the top of document page 123 by entering `123p' .

Not needed?

------------
* You can enter any URL following `g': yes, you do need to include
       `http://' (or another appropriate starter), which tells Lynx
       what type of access is required for the distant site; Lynx may try
       to guess if you omit part of the URL (eg `www.' or `.ca').

Not quite true: I can simply type 'g', then www.foo.com, and it goes
to http://www.foo.com

-------------
                          How to escape from things:

     * `q' exits Lynx, but prompts first;
     * `Q' exits without a prompt; `^d' is an emergency exit;
     * `^z' suspends Lynx, going to the original shell;
       in UNIX, `fg' returns to Lynx;

On my Linux system, ^C is an immediate exit too.
---------------
  * You can access `https' sites using Lynx, but you need SSLeay
       & must compile in SSL patches; there are strict restrictions
       if you live in the USA & looser rules apply if you live in Canada.

Or you can set up the lxp proxy on a firewall (Subir's pages had a link to
it at one time: don't know if it still does) and access https without
patching Lynx.  And the restrictions vary if you are in neither of the USA
nor Canada.

     * Images can be downloaded using Lynx; you can also compile Lynx
       to use a viewer like xv, if you have the necessary system access.

I might be wrong here.. I thought that this was a lynx.cfg option, not
necessarily a compile option.

Other than that: EXCELLENT! Good job.
Roger

Roger Hill, P.O.Box 4T, Barbados, West Indies.   E-mail:address@hidden
Tel:246-228-5216/230-9596                           Fax:246-433-8365