lynx-dev Scripting LYNX to follow links

From: Ron Todd
Subject: lynx-dev Scripting LYNX to follow links
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 20:47:37 -0400

I am trying to automate web queries, and thought that lynx may the the
vehicle to use.  I want to be able to move about an HTML document and
follow links of my choosing, per a script, and print pages to files.
For instance, I can go to our home page with

    lynx http://www.ksa1.com

and then interactively command

to go to the fifth link, bring that page up, and print it to the
default file name and quit.  However, if I try to do this
non-interactively, whether with a "here" document, redirection of STDIN
from a file, or using the "-get_data" command line option with a file
with the commands and a terminating "---" line, I never get off the
home page nor is the print command executed.

Is lynx capable of what I am attempting?  (I am using lynx v2.7.1 for
UNIX).  If so, how do I do it?  Otherwise, can you suggest a more
appropriate tool?

Thanks,

Ron Todd
address@hidden