lynx-dev lynx.browser.org causes DOS/Windows Users to fetch source.

From: David Woolley
Subject: lynx-dev lynx.browser.org causes DOS/Windows Users to fetch source.
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 08:40:03 +0100 (BST)

Having recently updated the office copy of Win32 Lynx, I became painfully
aware that the lynx.browser.org page will lead many non-technical users
to download the source code zip file when they actually wanted the Win
95 executables.  (I didn't fetch the wrong version, but I can see why people
have reported doing this then complained that they can't install it.)

The problem is that the first link says it is for Lynx 2.8, and then
points to a number of files including a ZIP file.  Presented with this,
the average non-technical user is going to assume that he should follow
that first link, not the Lynx Links one, and that the ZIP file is,
like all the other ZIP files he deals with, an archive of the actual
executable programs.

Given the move towards Win95 plug and play users, I think the first
link should point to the Win32 binaries and/or that there should be a
strong warning on the Lynx 2.8 sources page that this is NOT where to
go if you are a non-technical Windows user, followed by a cross-link to
the correct place.