Re: lynx-dev lynx.cfg

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx.cfg
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 20:54:40 -0400 (EDT)

> Amazingly enough T.E.Dickey said:
> > > Actually, I would prefer share/lynx, but I'm not sure how that fits into
> > > the Grand Scheme Of Things (tm).
> > for one file only - probably not a lot (except that the help-files also
> > are platform-independent).
>
> As a reformed sysadmin, I can say I would much prefer having everything in
> share.  Lynx.cfg has always given me indigestion; so I've always gone
> through a bit of effort to try to make the variety of machines share the
> same config and help files.
>
> While I can see how we could end up in the same trap as ncurses did (it
> ending up being one of our biggest questions), perhaps a little tweaking in
> the makefile to look for versions in the old location before doing a make
> install would help alleviate the problem?
Perhaps - but the same problem applies as in ncurses.  I couldn't simply
_move_ the terminfo tree because there's some systems where NFS lies to me
about the equivalence between the old/new locations.  And I couldn't simply
delete the old tree because it may have been customized, e.g,. in this case
lynx.cfg is the problem.  (But we can get closer with a little work...)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden