lynx-dev Options again

From: Mike Castle
Subject: lynx-dev Options again
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 23:59:34 -0500 (CDT)

In analyzing the options screen layout to determine what the equivalent
html would be, I've come across a stumbling block.

The option "^A)ssume charset if unknown" is controlled by the user mode.
It's only available in Advanced mode, and the option actually disappears
dynamically if the mode is changed.

Now, I know C, not HTML, but I don't think there is a way to achieve the
same effect in a form.  Correct?

Similarly, the way the Advanced bookmarks is going to be a bit tricky.

So, I guess the question is:

If the options section is to be enhanced (and I believe it should be),
should it be done using html/forms?  Or should it be done by expanding the
current method of using multiple screens?

Would replacing the special code for a separate UI in the options section
with special code for handling HTML really be worth it?

I like the idea of going with HTML.  The current option UI has lots of
stuff dealing with curses/slang differences, and all the SelectPop up
stuff.

So, I guess the question comes down to, if I want to contribute to lynx by
trying to enhance the options section (eventually I want to expand the
whole thing to having lots more things user configurable at run time), what
would be the best way to do it:   HTML based forms, or special UI code?

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  address@hidden  and be right all the time, or not work at all