Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "Append to local file": default file-name needed!

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "Append to local file": default file-name needed!
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 11:28:02 -0700 (PDT)

> From address@hidden Tue Jul 14 11:26:04 1998
> From: Heather Stern <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "Append to local file": default file-name needed!

> >> Sure doesn't work for me, hitting uparrow at that prompt:
> > then something's broken (it works for me in the release and development
> > versions -- I see a prompt to "Edit the previous filename").
> >
> >> Printing file.  Please wait...Append to filename: ^[[A^[[A^[[A
>
> I have found that if it's related to your TERM variable (and thereby
> terminal control) being set wrong, on my systems with job control, I stall
> lynx with ^Z, correct the TERM variable and issue "reset", then reawaken
> lynx.
>
> (known working on: Linux revs RedHat 4.2 & SuSE 5.x)
>
> Hope that helps;  if it does, either fix your login script to set your
> TERM more intelligently, or to give you a personal motd reminding you to
> set it.  If you only use lynx from one station, but typically login from
> several different termtypes, make a script or alias to wrap around your
> lynx run that sets the TERM for that session only.
>
> For awhile I had a problem with other programs that were sometimes mangling
> my terminal behavior; I was pleasantly surprised when lynx honored my reset
> (I had expect to find myself "blind" or have to kill it, but I habitually
> close down apps in the most normal method left to them.)  You might have to
> force a redraw, but maybe not, especially as following a link will redraw
> anyway.

Well, what should I do?  Am using shell acct on netcom, which uses
sparc and sunos 4.x.

I myself use sparcstation, with solaris 5.1.  Sun is sun is sun, no?

Term on both computers is "sun".

Between the two, I use KERMIT.

I have FOREVER had problems with chars.  I got into a really
embarrassing faux pas with many stupid posts about
French chars -- turned out these accented chars (eg e-acute, etc)
were actually there, because when I downloaded to MY computer and
catted or paged them they showed up really nice, but not when
looking at them on netcom, via lynx, mail, cat, page, or anything!

I mean, what should I set TERM to other than "sun" -- since sun
is what both I and netcom use?

Any ideas?