Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "Append to local file": default file-name needed!

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "Append to local file": default file-name needed!
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 11:53:21 +0900 (JST)

> > Well, what should I do?  Am using shell acct on netcom, which uses
> > sparc and sunos 4.x.
> >
> > I myself use sparcstation, with solaris 5.1.  Sun is sun is sun, no?

Wonder if the annoying problem I've always had is related.  I "Telnet"
(MSDOS) or "Teraterm" to a SunOS4.1.3 or Solaris2.6 box from my PC.  No
problem with rendering of Japanese.  But then, from my account there I
/usr/ucb/telnet to an account on another Sun box, and suddenly Japanese
is completely jumbled.  The same thing happens when I telnet from either
a Linux or FreeBSD console to a Sun box (similar to your situation?).

> > Term on both computers is "sun".

The emulation of the telnet clients in all my cases is essentially vt100,
and the TERM entry for the Sun or Solaris accounts is again essentially
vt100.  The Linux box uses a "linux" console.  I don't understand the
FreeBSD console (it's a version specific to NEC PC98 notebooks); sorry.

> settings that can affect how characters are transmitted.  If you are
> using C-KERMIT 6.0, you might try "set term char transparent" and "set
> term byte 8", to see if this helps.

Doug, these are the settings for Kermit, or the login account?

Any help much appreciated.

__Henry