lynx-dev Accessing dialin freenet (was: [no subject])

From: David Woolley
Subject: lynx-dev Accessing dialin freenet (was: [no subject])
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 10:39:44 +0100 (BST)

[ Re capitalised to internet conventions ]

> I have a 486 SX/25
>
> I installed Lynx web browser
>
> There is a free-net here in Houston, TX
>

> I just want to connect to their dial-up number.

Lynx cannot connect to a dial up number, it needs an internet connection
provided by other software.  At some stage you are already establishing an
internet connection if you are using hotmail.  Did you do this using the
freenet, and run the mail program on your machine?  If so, we just need
to know the available choice of operating systems, and the amount of memory
in the machine.

On the other hand, a lot of freenets only provide terminal access, in which
case Lynx needs to be run on the freenet machine, not on yours.

Note that, unless you are running Windows 95 (unlikely on that machine) you
would strongly be advised to find someone local to hand hold you if you can
set up an internet connection, as it can be difficult to explain remotely.

As to memory, you should have no problem in running Lynx in 4MB.  You may well
be able to get the DOS version to run in 2.  I doubt it will run well in less.