lynx-dev coaching users on how to deal with trouble

From: Al Gilman
Subject: lynx-dev coaching users on how to deal with trouble
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 10:32:03 -0400 (EDT)

Quoted below is some advice I gave a user on another list.

In it I invite mail to this list.  Please see if you agree that
we want mail to come here under the conditions I set forth in the
invitation.

The message quoted below contains what may be a better synthesis
on the topic of "how to get help when you have trouble on the
web" than I have managed to scratch out in the past.  I would
welcome comments from that angle as well.

The key differences in the new strategy:

Tell the user to write to the site with cc:lynx-dev.

If they are using lynx when they have the trouble, cc:lynx-dev.

If there is evidence about the problem that Lynx has turned up,
cc:lynx-dev.  The webmaster may need to ask "what does this
error message in Lynx actually mean?"  Finding people willing
to trace a failure is a problem.  The willingness is better on
webwatch and the skills are better on lynx-dev.

Kelly, do you have any suggestions here?

Actually, I just got an idea for what W3C can do...

Al

----- Forwarded message from Al Gilman -----