Re: lynx-dev Patch to 2.8rel2 to accept all cookies

From: pk
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Patch to 2.8rel2 to accept all cookies
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 21:04:12 -0700

Matthew Kelly wrote:
> I was thinking about cookie modes before ... I think it would be really
> nice to allow site by site prefs, plus an overall preference. IE
>
> some.site.com : ALWAYS_ACCEPT / NEVER_ACCEPT / PROMPT
>
> default : ALWAYS_ACCEPT / NEVER_ACCEPT / PROMPT
>
> plus a flag
>
> send_cookies : YES / NO / TO_ORIGINATING_SITE
>

> When in default = PROMPT mode you could be prompted with
> Accept cookied: Yes/No/+Always/-Never/?Prompt
>
> where yes/no just dealt with this cookie
> and always/never/prompt established a site-specific cookie-acceptance
> preference.

Hmm, that'd be pretty nice too. I'm not sure how the work is coming along
on adding persistent cookies in the dev releases (alas, I think my new
WD drive is a little flaky and is munging inodes left and right, but we'll
see if playing with hdparm helped), so I'm not sure if I'd be duplicating
other people's work if I started hacking on that.

I think I'll download that tarball now...

> Such a schema, plus saving state on cookies and cookie preferences would
> allow people to estab cookies/cookie preferences for those sites they use
> (eg NYT, etc) and ignore everything else...

NYT was the site that made me want the patch. :)

> I had thought of programming this a year or more back but was put off by
> the list with the fact that cookies/cookie handling standards were in some
> sort of flux... Is now a better time? Thoughts on the idea?

Hm, I'll defer to someone else on that, having no idea what's been going
on...

-bri

--
"Either you have forgotten the smily or you wrote ***big*** bullshit."
         -Rainer Joswig