Re: lynx-dev lynx -lss option bad [BSDI-Support-Request #53069]

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx -lss option bad [BSDI-Support-Request #53069]
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:33:42 -0400 (EDT)

980720 Jeffrey Honig forwarded a bug report:

> Date:           Fri, 17 Jul 1998 16:36:30 -0600
> From:           Chris Kottaridis <address@hidden>
> Subject:        lynx -lss option bad [BSDI-Support-Request #53069]
> To:             address@hidden
>
> I was perusing lynx2-8 for something different and ran across this code:
>
> #if defined(USE_HASH)
>             } else if (strncmp(buf, "-lss", 4) == 0) {
>                 if ((cp = strchr(buf,'=')) != NULL) {
>                     StrAllocCopy(lynx_lss_file, cp+1);
>                 } else {
>                     cp = buf;
>                     while (*cp && !isspace((unsigned char)*cp))
>                         cp++;
>                     while (*cp && isspace((unsigned char)*cp))
>                         cp++;
>                     if (*cp)
>                         StrAllocCopy(lynx_cfg_file, cp);
>                 }
>
> I think the last StrAllocCopy should be to lynx_lss_file
> rather then lynx_cfg_file.  I think what it's trying to do here is
> allow the -lss option to work either as:
>
> - -lss=<filename>
>
> or
>
> - -lss <filename>
>
> The man page doesn't seem to mention anything about -lss though.
> I can't imagine that if you don't use an "="
> the cfg file should be set instead of the lss file though.

i'm sure we're all grateful for any outside help people may offer,
but a quick look thro'  lynx.cfg  &  userdefs.h  with grep reveals
that  -lss  is experimental & unsupported & plainly described as such;
moreover,  lynx -help  does not list a command-line switch  -lss .
here is what  userdefs.h  says starting at line 413
(there's a slightly different section at line 210 for VMS):

 * LYNX_LSS_FILE is the location and name of the default lynx
 * character style sheet file.  It is sought and processed at
 * startup of Lynx only if experimental character style code
 * has been compiled in, otherwise it will be ignored.  Note
 * that use of the character style option is _experimental_ AND
 * _unsupported_.  There is no documentation other than a sample
 * lynx.lss file in the samples subdirectory.  You also can
 * define the location and name of this file via environment
 * variables "LYNX_LSS" or "lynx_lss" which will override the
 * "LYNX_LSS_FILE" definition here.  You can use '~' in either or
 * both definitions to refer to the user's home directory.  The
 * -lss command line switch will override these definitions.
 */
#ifndef LYNX_LSS_FILE
#define LYNX_LSS_FILE "/usr/local/lib/lynx.lss"
#endif /* LYNX_LSS_FILE */

probably the experimental style-sheet code should be deleted from 2-8-1,
given that no-one is currently working on it;
a Lynx Release should NEVER contain "experimental & unsupported" material!

to that extent, we should perhaps thank the lads at BSDI for alerting us.