Re: lynx-dev lynx -lss option bad [BSDI-Support-Request #53069]

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx -lss option bad [BSDI-Support-Request #53069]
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 19:41:20 -0400 (EDT)

> 980721 Larry Virden wrote:
> > I myself am torn over whether experimental code should be removed
> > if not currently being worked on.
> > If it's removed, then it is likely that it will never be worked on.
> > If it's present, then perhaps someone will pick up the banner.
>
> yes, that's a good point,
> but just leaving it forgotten in a Release is surely bad practice.
but the configure script lists these as options - and they're not hard
to build.

> could we do a `reverse patch' operation:
> ie move extracted material to an archive directory like To Do,
> whence people could grab it & play with it when they felt inclined?
> that might be a better stimulant for typical Lynx programmers,
> who tend to lack time rather than motivation.
> does TD have any comment?
I don't mind leaving experimental code as long as it builds & works
reasonably well (i.e., no obvious problems, and is not hard to keep
integrated).  It's a lot harder to maintain patches than code that's
been integrated.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden