Re: lynx-dev URI comparisons

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev URI comparisons
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:54:48 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, Karl-Johan Noren said:

> Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 16:04:11 +0200
>
> >From HTTP 1.1 (RFC 2068):
>
> ***
> 3.2.3 URI Comparison
>
>    When comparing two URIs to decide if they match or not, a client
>    SHOULD use a case-sensitive octet-by-octet comparison of the entire
>    URIs, with these exceptions:
>
>      o  Comparisons of host names MUST be case-insensitive;

What about a fully qualified vs. a partly qualified host name?

>    For example, the following three URIs are equivalent:
>
>          http://abc.com:80/~smith/home.html
>          http://ABC.com/%7Esmith/home.html
>          http://ABC.com:/%7esmith/home.html

Add to the above example:

           http://abc:80/~smith/home.html

when I access the page from XYZ.com.  This frequently occurs when I
access a local server with a construct as terse as:

          http://www/

and then follow a sequence of links that take me back to:

          http://www.stortek.com/

Perhaps the comparison on host name should be made after resolving
the IP address.  But I digress from the RFC.

I have similar problems with the "no_proxy" logic driven by lynx.cfg.
I observe that if I have no_proxy:.stortek.com in lynx.cfg and do a
"g http://www/"; (implying www.stortek.com) the no_proxy is ineffective.

(Of course I'm still at 2.8.1dev.13; perhaps I should expect different
results if I upgrade.)

-- gil