Re: lynx-dev GNKSA review of Lynx 2.8

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev GNKSA review of Lynx 2.8
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 98 15:07:38 EDT

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998 17:07:12 +0200,
Thijs Kinkhorst  <address@hidden> wrote:

>Below is the Good Netkeeping Seal of Approval evaluation for Lynx.
>Unfortanately, Lynx does very bad. Perhaps I misunderstood Lynx.
>If that's the case, chances will be big that new users will too. I'd
>like to have your opinion/comments on this evaluation before it
>goes final and will appear on the GNKSA webpage. More
>information about the GNKSA is at http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/

It took me a while to realize that your "seal of approval" only
applied to news software.  Lynx is primarily a web browser, and news
support is very limited and seldom used.  I think your evaluation
should state this.  Otherwise, you could evaluate Minuet, which is
supposed to do news, but is way out of date and too buggy to use for
that purpose.  Lynx is under development by volunteer programmers, and
news support is way down the priority list.

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       address@hidden    http://www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) address@hidden http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/lras/