Re: lynx-dev GNKSA review of Lynx 2.8

From: Thijs Kinkhorst
Subject: Re: lynx-dev GNKSA review of Lynx 2.8
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 22:20:06 +0200

On 29 Jul 98, Lloyd G. Rasmussen wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jul 1998 17:07:12 +0200,
> Thijs Kinkhorst  <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >Below is the Good Netkeeping Seal of Approval evaluation for Lynx.
> >Unfortanately, Lynx does very bad. Perhaps I misunderstood Lynx.
> >If that's the case, chances will be big that new users will too. I'd
> >like to have your opinion/comments on this evaluation before it
> >goes final and will appear on the GNKSA webpage. More
> >information about the GNKSA is at http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/
> >

> It took me a while to realize that your "seal of approval" only
> applied to news software.  Lynx is primarily a web browser, and news
> support is very limited and seldom used.  I think your evaluation
> should state this.  Otherwise, you could evaluate Minuet, which is
> supposed to do news, but is way out of date and too buggy to use for
> that purpose.  Lynx is under development by volunteer programmers, and
> news support is way down the priority list.

The GNKSA is indeed about Usenet news. Software that allows
users to post to Usenet is subject to evaluation. I'll mention in the
review that Lynx is not meant as a full newsreader, but I still think it
deserves evaluation. For example the posting mechanism
definately should either be improved or left out, as it very strongly
encourages "bad posting".

--
Thijs Kinkhorst      *    Jaze Web Design    *        ICQ 432406
address@hidden  *  http://www.jaze.net  *  KeyID 0x371EFCB1