Re: lynx-dev Free Distribution Of " Lynx 2.8 "For the CHIP CD September

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Free Distribution Of " Lynx 2.8 "For the CHIP CD September 1998
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 01:27:42 -0400 (EDT)

980730 Chetan Bothello (Designer CHIP CD, Bombay) wrote:
> Dear Sir or Madam:

lynx-dev is an international co-op of volunteers, male & female.

> The JS Group from India jointly with Vogel Verlag from Germany has launched
> India's best Computer Magazine in English called `CHIP - = The Best Guide
> to Computing'.  CHIP has a print run of 70,000 copies,
> which is the highest of any computer magazine in India.
> CHIP appears with a CD every month (the CD is FREE of cost to the reader).
> This CD includes a lot of freeware and shareware.
> We would like to include your software Lynx 2.8 in our CD for September.
> We feel it is an excellent product
> & the Indian market should be introduced to it.

Lynx is certainly known in India, as messages to lynx-dev have shown,
but we're all always pleased to see it more widely publicised.

> Could you please grant us permission to carry the latest version
> of your software on our CD?
> Please also let us know where we can get a copy of the latest version.
> We would be grateful if you let us know by 980731,
> as this would allow us to meet our deadlines for production.

Lynx is distributed subject to a GNU licence,
which roughly allows free use & copying,
provided it is never used in any kind of commercial or copyright software.
for full details of the licence, see the file  COPYING  in the package,
which you can obtain from  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/ .
the copyright is held by the University of Kansas (USA),
which would be responsible for any legal action against infringement.

perhaps there could be some question raised
if it appeared your company was profiting from adding Lynx to its CD,
but offsetting that is the difficulty many people in India might find
in downloading Lynx over slow Internet connections.
it may be basically a question for your consciences:
if you have any real worries, it's the U Kansas you should consult.