Re: lynx-dev Free Distribution Of " Lynx 2.8 "For the CHIP CD September

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Free Distribution Of " Lynx 2.8 "For the CHIP CD September 1998
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 06:56:01 -0400

From: Philip Webb <address@hidden>
> Lynx is distributed subject to a GNU licence,
> which roughly allows free use & copying,
> provided it is never used in any kind of commercial or copyright software.

1. What part of the current license agreement covers this restriction
of not using lynx in any kind of commercial or copyright software?  The
only restriction in the COPYING file that I see is that one cannot incorporate
the program into proprietary programs.  Is that the reference you had
in mind?  Note that this is different than what you stated.

2. There is not even explicit forbidding of selling lynx from what I can tell.
There is a statement that the buyer is permitted to freely distribute copies
of lynx.   There is a statement that one can charge for distributing copies
of lynx.  There is explicit discussion on how including lynx with other
programs does not mean that the license in lynx covers the other software.
But that's about it.

3. I am not entirely certain how compliant lynx is with the license anyways.
There is, as part of the license, a discussion of how to apply the license
to one's program.  It does not appear that lynx conforms with these conditions-
the source doesn't include the appropriate copy right and license info,
it doesn't have display a copyright msg when started, etc.