Re: lynx-dev make problem

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: lynx-dev make problem
Date: 03 Aug 1998 10:24:56 -0600

>>  Which version of make is recommended for building lynx?  I have
>> GNU Make v3.75 for OS/2 installed and when I run configure I get:

TED> I have 3.74, from the hobbes cdrom.  That worked w/o having to compile my
own.

>> checking host system type... i386-pc-os2
>> checking for gcc... gcc
>> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O -Zexe -Zcrtdll)
>> works... yes
>> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O -Zexe -Zcrtdll) is a
>> cross-compiler... no
>> checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
>> checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
>> checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc.exe -E
>> checking for ranlib... :
>> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
>> checking for style of include in makefiles...
>> configure: error: Your make program does not support includes

>> Anyone know what is going wrong here?

TED> There's a couple of different syntax for include-statements in
TED> makefiles.  I'm using that to support the
TED> WWW/Library/Implementation directory, rather than rewrite the
TED> makefile.  (That was because when I wrote that part of the
TED> configure script, we were still maintaining the non-configure
TED> build in parallel).

I've had this problem on OS/2 before.  It's not a real error; it has
to do somehow with using some stale configure.* files.  Run 'sh -c
autoconf --clean' and 'sh -c autoconf' to clean everything up and
build a fresh configure.cmd.  I don't know why this should happen, but
it seems to be a not uncommon error with autoconf-based stuff on OS/2.

| Jason F. McBrayer              address@hidden |
| The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |
| forever.                    R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |