Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx dump format

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx dump format
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 10:44:57 +0100 (BST)

> > > Hi.  I am interested in using a Lynx text dump to look at a set
> > > of HTML manual pages in text mode.  It seems that Lynx is not designed

You probably want to use Lynx in -source mode and then use html2ps (a Perl
script) to format the pages.  However, if they are Unix man pages, and not
SCO's, you would be better starting from the nroff sources.

The PDF versions of the HTML 4.0 and CSS2 specifications were produced by
using html2ps on the HTML.  I think they then used Adobe distiller to produce
the PDF, although ghostscript should also work, and can be used to print
on non-postscript printers.  You do need to start from valid HTML, and,
I think, the HTML needs to be used as a markup language, not as a simulation
of a page description language, so you should start by running something
like http://validator.w3.org/ against a sample page.