Re: lynx-dev Kermit (was improving document'n)

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Kermit (was improving document'n)
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 18:35:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Philip Webb wrote:

> so shouldn't Lynx documentation recommend using Kermit, which is freeware?
> asis, the IBM-PC file in  /docs  doesn't mention Kermit at all.

I am not sure how much advice one program can give in regard to other
programs which might be appropriate to use with them. With the number of
ways people use lynx, this might be a major undertaking.

> > To see what lynx is sending to your terminal,
> > set "terminal character-set transparent" in MSKERMIT.
> > Kermit can only use the characters that your code-page knows how to display.
>
> yes, i tested it on  www.lemonde.fr/
> & it shows accented letters according to DOS codepage 437,
> which for `e acute' gives `i' (7-bit) or `theta' (8-bit).
> this is what i end up with when i download such a file to my PC:
> is there any way of getting such letters corrected in downloading?
> i can of course write a little program for my PC, but that's slower.

There is always the GNU program recode, which has been ported to DOS.
This converts from almost any character set to the character set of your
choice. Translation may be approximate if the character doesn't exist in
the new character set.

> > For full compatibility with various character sets,
> > you still need to change the code page in DOS.
>
> when i change to codepage 437 using  o  &  c , i get a deformed display.

I am not sure what you mean by "o & c". Changing code pages in DOS
requires commands such as:
Mode CON CP PREP=((819) C:\DOS\ISOLATIN.CPI)
Mode CON CP SEL=819

This switches to codepage 819, the true ISO 8859-1 for DOS. This assumes
that you have installed isolatin.cpi. Otherwise you may be limited to
codepages 437 and 850, the PC DOS code page default (in the US) and a
version of Latin1 with the characters in nonstandard positions.
> i have downloaded the latest 3.14, but still use his older 3.10 (sloth).

Version 3.15 has been out for a while, with a relatively stable alpha
2.16 available.

I suspect that this may not be of interest to many on the list. Perhaps
further discussion should go elsewhere. This seem more like a DOS
problem than a lynx problem.
                               Doug
__
Doug Kaufman