Re: lynx-dev improving documentation

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev improving documentation
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 10:23:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Philip Webb wrote:

> there's a document on IBM-PCs & character sets,
> which may be useful in some contexts, but looks rather dated
> & in fact for me would have been rather misleading (see below).
> OTOH i've finally stumbled on the extremely simple correction needed
> to allow me to read accented letter in French & German:
> ALL it needed was  set display 8-bit  in my  mskermit.ini  in my PC,
> which pretends to be a VT100 for our UNIX system.
> i had always assumed there would be a big problem
> due to the difference between ISO coding & DOS codepages
> & the IBM-PC file in the  /docs  directory in the distribution
> adds to that impression; i'm still puzzled how it can be so simple,
> but maybe it's merely the combination of VT100 emulation & Kermit,
> which between them sort things out.

Unfortunately, the document on PC character sets is still correct;
things have not been simplified. You are now using two programs capable
of character set translation. Kermit is excellent for this. Those not
using kermit don't have this luxury. To see what lynx is sending to your
terminal, set "terminal character-set transparent" in MSKERMIT. Kermit
can only use the characters that your code-page knows how to display.
For full compatibility with various character sets, you still  need to
change the code page in DOS. By the way, it is recommended that you NOT
change MSKERMIT.INI. Use MSCUSTOM.INI for these changes. The net effect
is the same however.
                               Doug

__
Doug Kaufman