Re: lynx-dev make problem

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev make problem
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 15:52:17 -0400 (EDT)

> Which version of make is recommended for building lynx?
>
> I have GNU Make v3.75 for OS/2 installed and when I run configure I
> get:-
I have 3.74, from the hobbes cdrom.  That worked w/o having to compile my own.

> checking host system type... i386-pc-os2
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O -Zexe -Zcrtdll)
> works... yes
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O -Zexe -Zcrtdll) is a
> cross-compiler... no
> checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
> checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc.exe -E
> checking for ranlib... :
> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
> checking for style of include in makefiles...
> configure: error: Your make program does not support includes
>
> Anyone know what is going wrong here?
There's a couple of different syntax for include-statements in makefiles.
I'm using that to support the WWW/Library/Implementation directory, rather
than rewrite the makefile.  (That was because when I wrote that part of
the configure script, we were still maintaining the non-configure build
in parallel).

Anyway, it sounds like you're having trouble with sed or your shell.
What does config.log show?

> BTW has anyone here tried using dmake instead of GNU Make?
that would be a bit of work, I think, since dmake isn't really compatible
with Unix make programs.  You'd have to construct the dmakefile's from
scratch.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden