Re: lynx-dev GNKSA review of Lynx 2.8

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev GNKSA review of Lynx 2.8
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 16:51:04 -0400 (EDT)

980731 Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> there are three possible things to do about the news part of lynx:
> 1) do nothing. This leaves us with a good WWW browser with attached to it
> a very miserable news reader, which doesn't even allow posting
> RFC-compliant articles and strongly encourages bad net-behaviour.
> 2) address the more urgent GNKSA requirements.
> This will give us a good WWW browser and a fair newsreader
> but will require some work to be done.
> 3) remove the "post message" feature. This way, Lynx still enables users
> to follow news: links in web pages, but with disabling the post feature,
> Lynx will not qualify for a GNKSA-evaluation
> which prevents harm done by any user using the post feature.

Lynx is generally very short of volunteer programmer time
& there is little interest in the news-reader parts of it,
so (2) is unlikely to get done by lynx-devers;
(3) is bad practice, since some users will insist on using older versions,
which may have all sorts of problems in other areas;
(1) won't bother most Lynx users, but we'ld rather not get bad reviews.

is there any chance anyone around GNKSA would like
to try working on the Lynx code to achieve (2) ?
if they were to liaise with lynx-dev,
they would probably get some help finding their way around the code.