lynx-dev LYNX: "go back to <prior page>" in OTHER browsers

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev LYNX: "go back to <prior page>" in OTHER browsers
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 14:11:16 -0700 (PDT)

We lynx users all understand the concept of a stack
of visited places, eg via the backspace key.

Now, all the time on various pages I see things
(sometimes after every few paragraphs) like

In lynx, if I click on one of those, lynx of course
does not "go back" at all; it goes FORWARD, stacking
that place (again) onto the stack.

What I do when I want to "go back" is, well, to go back,
via the h vi-keys key.  I mean, who wants all these
cycles in the stack?  And, suppose you want finally
to go back to where you were BEFORE you got into
this subtree of pages -- had you gone "forward" (AS
SUGGESTED! by the pages), you would have a HUGE stack
to unwind, causing and waiting for much internet traffic
to regrab those pages that you only want to forget about
anyway.

Of course, WE (via lynx) can hit backspace, and simply
go FORWARD to a place way down the stack.  (Hey,
it sure would be nice to have a "pop-stack-n-places"
or "pop-down-to-stack-height-n").

Anyway, as far as I know, netscape 4, which I use
locally for table display (only), has no such stack-display,
so the poor schnook is FORCED to tediously unwind the
whole stack -- he can't even see how high it is!

My question: just how do netscape users use netscape?
In particular, do they actually follow those instructions
for "go back to top" by clicking on that link, thus
stacking up higher?

Or is netscape (or M$ exploiter) smart enough to NOT
stack up by one when going "forward" to the immediately
prior page -- or even when completing a cycle?

My 2nd question: does this mean that our doc should
tell lynx users what is actually happening (stack getting
bumped), and that they should go back via "h", rather
than clicking on the "go back" link on the page?

That is, does one use lynx DIFFERENTLY from how one uses
netscape et al?

David