Re: lynx-dev nuisance message (patch)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev nuisance message (patch)
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 03:54:54 -0400 (EDT)

980807 Jason McBrayer wrote:
> 980805 Philip Webb wrote:
>> how many votes to drop the warning message when  ../  is encountered?
> I'm against dropping it too:  when Lynx strips the leading ../,
> it's violating existing standards, and it's bad to do that blindly.
> It could be downgraded from an ALERT to a MESSAGE though.

comments & further reflection have satisfied me the solution is
simply to remind people (me) they can suppress messages using  0 s .
however, there remains the bug that the message here is Alert,
when it should be simply Message: cp  lynx.cfg :

# If STRIP_DOTDOT_URLS is TRUE, Lynx emulates the invalid behavior
# of many browsers to strip a leading "../" segment from relative URLs
# in HTML documents with a http or https base URL, if this would otherwise
# lead to an absolute URLs with those characters still in it.
# Such URLs are normally erroneous and not what is intended by page authors.
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
highly questionable: page authors rarely bother to fix them,
incl Washington Post's search page & our own hard-working sysadmin.

# Lynx will issue a warning message when this occurs.

this surely suggests a simple Message, not an Alert: cp  lynx.cfg :

# Those set by MESSAGESECS are informational (eg a function is disabled).
# Those set by ALERTSECS typically report a serious problem.

 ../  is NOT a serious problem,
except insofar as Lynx keeps yelling about it ...

the change is to LYCharUtils.c (line 3402 in 2-8pre.2),
where  AlertSecs  needs changing to  MessageSecs .

should i make it a patch or is that enough (i've tested it: it works)?