Re: lynx-dev searching the archive

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev searching the archive
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 04:46:09 -0400 (EDT)

980808 Nelson Henry Eric wrote:
>> Is there anyone regularly using any external search service
>> to find things from the HTML archives?
>> Like Claude, I have not found this to be that effective.
> Doesn't Subir's search form page work anymore?  Used to be great:
>   http://165.113.13.11/~subir/lynx/search-archives.html
> (Can anyone provide the address;I only have the IP number.)

the URL is  www.crl.com/etc .

i just tried them all on `tables 1998', a realistic enough pattern:

Altavista & Infoseek found items with `tables' in the subject;
Metacrawler found items from 1998 with `tables' in the message;
Excite & Hotbot found items with `tables' in the message (all years);
Lycos listed  3  items,  1  of which wasn't from lynx-dev.

i'ld say searching the Archive requires
an ability to limit by year & month at least;
preferably to choose searching on subjects or contents.
part of the problem is that we aren't careful enough about subjects
when submitting messages to lynx-dev, but that's difficult to correct.
i certainly find it easier to pick a likely date
& simply manually search thro' Archive subjects itself using Lynx;
it will be more comfortable when i've fixed the  n  bug ...