lynx-dev Re: your mail

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: lynx-dev Re: your mail
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 07:12:10 -0400 (EDT)

> Observed in Lynx 2.6 and 2.8 running in Linux:
>
> When I downloaded a file to my home directory via "Save to disk," the
> temp copy of the file lingered in the tempspace for the remainder of the
> Lynx session or until I shelled out and removed it manually.  At the end
> of the session Lynx did remove all remaining tempfiles it generated.

I noticed this last week, will check.  I had a hunch - didn't investigate
yet - that it didn't do it that way before I started working on the
temp-file usage (i.e., that 2.7.1 would try harder to reuse a filename).
In any case I don't much like this behavior either, but there's some
instances where the files are re-used (pages visited) and some where
they should be discarded (downloaded files).

> I became aware of this only after my ISP put quotas on the default
> tempspace, /tmp/.  Evidently, long sessions of heavy downloading built
> up large bunches of tempfiles--probably enough to constitute /tmp/
> abuse.  I have already defined LYNX_TEMP_SPACE to point into the home
> directory to buy some wiggle room.
>
> In LYDownload() of LYDownload.c, where Lynx places the file in home,
> the VMS side first tries to rename() the file out of the tempspace.
> Can rename() be applied safely on the Unix side as well?  Or removing
> the tempfile after a successful copy?
rename (always/only) works on the same file-system - on either VMS or Unix.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden