temp files [Was: Re: lynx-dev Re: your mail

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: temp files [Was: Re: lynx-dev Re: your mail
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 07:36:11 -0400

perhaps these temp files are related to the much demanded caching?

There are _always_ tradeoffs, and often folk don't think of the downsides
until they bite someone.

I don't recall - did the work to get lynx to recognize a single environment
variable for moving all it's temp file creation ever get defined?  At
one point during discussions, there was two or more variables (a lynx
specific as well as an OS specific one) which could be set to move where
lynx put it's temp files.  The original poster, having encountered a
rather unfriendly quota, might consider whether setting the variables
in question might help.

And speaking of that kicks off another question.  There are lots of folk
on this list.  At times, I see folk say things like "I would contribute
if I understood the code, or how to write in C, etc.".  However, one project
that's been discussed a number of times is an updated look at what environment
variables that lynx can look at, listing the variables, what they impact,
etc.  As far as I am aware, this , along with a look at preprocessor symbols,
are both works that could always use someone taking a look.  If someone
is interested, we can talk about where to start on either of these.