Re: lynx-dev www.inference.com/ifind search engine

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev www.inference.com/ifind search engine
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 07:02:56 -0400 (EDT)

980808 Eliza wrote:
> Try www.inference.com/ifind -- Not bad!
> The query "lynx tables 1998" with "60 seconds" search time returned:
-- long list of URLs snipped --

this is no better than the engines listed in Subir's site,
on which ifind acknowledges it is based.
NONE of the lynx-dev items given is for 1998, some are for 1996!
in fact ifind won't do BOOLEAN `and' reliably, as it also confesses.

thanx for trying, but we're still left with the problem
that the regular WWW search engines are in practice very inefficient.
Yahoo & Altavista can often help you move round the WWW more quickly,
but for the kind of precise database searching we need for the Archive
we would have to set up something much more technical & professional.