Re: lynx-dev horizontal scrolling stuff

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev horizontal scrolling stuff
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 14:38:02 -0700 (PDT)

> From address@hidden Fri Aug  7 22:31:22 1998
> From: address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 22:28:07 -0700 (PDT)
>
> On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, David Combs wrote:
> >re horizontal scrolling: setting the width.
> >
> >FOR SURE it should be run-time, and easily switchable.
>
> I realize we're talking about a nonexistant feature (some year after I
> become a billionaire I should get the Lynx source and look at it)..
>
> But what do you mean by "easily switchable"?  To manually reset the width?
>
> If it's set automagically at runtime, when/why would you want to switch it?

Fine.  the current automagic is nice, since lynx seems to
look anew at "set cols" each time I do ^Z and fg back
in.

ALTHOUGH it would be FAR nicer if I could set cols only
WITHIN lynx, and NOT have to go outside to do it.

(And, evidently SOME users don't have access to shell commands).

Has to do with wanting to VIEW the stuff at MY terminal's width
(132), but for SOME of the www-pages, I want to EMAIL them off,
but only 80-wide.  The problem ends up being VI.

The way it is now, I have to ^Z, set cols from 132 to 80 (assuming'
I look at things on line "wide", but when I want to P(rint) stuff
to a file and then email that to someone with a normal 80-wide
screen, I of course have to reformat it narrow) ---
this "global" narrow-setting (via shell) done ONLY to get
lynx, on the fg back into it, to sense it, and then
a ^R gets lynx to reformat it narrow (80), after which
I p(rint) it to file.

HOWEVER, before I do the email, I want to remove stuff
like ten million "references:" stuff, junk at the top
(advertisements, other links they want me to go to maybe),
equal stuff at the bottom, etc -- so I do a VI on that
p(rinted) file, and clean it up.

HOWEVER, VI screws up horribly displaying to my screen
UNLESS I have the "set cols" EXACTLY matching that of my
(sun) terminal.  (Yeah, I know this is not a problem
for anyone but me...but the display is HORRIBLE,
newlines turned into LF's etc, horrible) if the
ncols isn't right).

SO, I have to RESET cols to 132 BEFORE I run VI (to fix
up the p(rinted) file).

So I do that, and email it off, and now I want to fg back
into lynx.

Lynx, of course, on the fg notices that cols is 132, no
sweat though, since I "H" (go back, vikeys) to prior
link, which got displayed 132, and is still that.  Assuming
I don't want to look at that just-p(rinted) file -- for which
I really should do ^R to get wide again (via the global
and sensed again-132 ncols).

Anyway, because of the cruft with the VI needing ncols
exactly the size of the physical screen at my end of the
phone line, would benefit from a PURELY LOCAL ability
to change ITS ncols.

Anyway, does this long-winded answer answer your
question?

David