Re: lynx-dev horizontal scrolling stuff

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev horizontal scrolling stuff
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 17:57:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, David Combs wrote:

> Has to do with wanting to VIEW the stuff at MY terminal's width
> (132), but for SOME of the www-pages, I want to EMAIL them off,
> but only 80-wide.  The problem ends up being VI.
>
> The way it is now, I have to ^Z, set cols from 132 to 80 (assuming'
> I look at things on line "wide", but when I want to P(rint) stuff
> to a file and then email that to someone with a normal 80-wide
> screen, I of course have to reformat it narrow) ---
> this "global" narrow-setting (via shell) done ONLY to get
> lynx, on the fg back into it, to sense it, and then
> a ^R gets lynx to reformat it narrow (80), after which
> I p(rint) it to file.
>
> HOWEVER, before I do the email, I want to remove stuff
> like ten million "references:" stuff, junk at the top
> (advertisements, other links they want me to go to maybe),
> equal stuff at the bottom, etc -- so I do a VI on that
> p(rinted) file, and clean it up.

Perhaps I don't understand exactly what you are trying to do. Isn't
it easier to print your file, put it in vi, and do ":%!par 72", then
finish cleaning up the editing? This should give you a 72 column wide
text file. This assumes par available on your system.
                           Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)