Re: lynx-dev <BR> does not accumulate

From: Dave Eaton
Subject: Re: lynx-dev <BR> does not accumulate
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:49:02 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Philip Webb wrote:

> ...[clip]...
> "Lynx didn't 'collapse' them" : that's the very word used in  lynx.cfg !
> moreover, collapsing <BR>'s was not part of Lynx till 2-7,
> when some anonymous developer slipped it into the code without warning.
>
> so i agree with the gentleman in Vancouver that it's a bug,
> at least in the sense that Lynx 2-8 doesn't comply with HTML 4.0.

I disagree. Refer to the section of the HTML 4.0 spec concerning
whitespace which is referenced by section 9.3.2 which concerns line breaks
(http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/text.html#whitespace) as well as
the parts of the spec mentioned earlier on this thread. That section says:

 "Line breaks are also white space characters. ...[clip]...
  In particular, user agents should collapse input white space sequences
  when producing output inter-word space."

Thus, in the absence of a <PRE>, multiple spaces, tabs, newlines and <BR>s
get collapsed to a single space (or no space in this case) and the line
gets terminated.

Lynx isn't broken here ... please don't fix it.

Thanks,
 Dave Eaton
--
 Artronic Development  - Your Web Site Solution
 12629 N. Tatum Blvd., Suite 224; Phoenix, AZ 85032