Re: lynx-dev lynx: bookmarks: add today's date to entry.

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx: bookmarks: add today's date to entry.
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 14:58:17 -0700 (PDT)

> From address@hidden Thu Aug 13 15:29:07 1998
> From: Philip Webb <address@hidden>
>
> surely all anyone has to do is include the date in the bookmark title,
> which Lynx asks for when you add the bookmark to the file:
> eg `980813 Washington Post' or however you record dates;
> you can always edit it in later, if you forget.

Well, it should be automatic; that guarantees that each one
will be done with the same format -- and *correctly*!

Of course, would be an *option*.

> everyone has their own way of doing things, but i find it bizarre
> to build up a single bookmark file with  1300  entries (smile):
> i reserve mine for frequently used bookmarks on  1  screen
> & have a quite separate manually maintained file of URLs,
> with  c 750  carefully categorised in a printed list i can refer to.

What I do is from time to time reorganize it, sticking dummy
"heading lines" in fromt of each category, with ":::" at the
end of the heading-lines (ficticious links), so I can
egrep for them, and then fg back into lynx and search for
the one I am interested in.

Plus a final category of "not yet categorized:::", for
the recent stuff.

Never have learned how to do multiple bookmarks -- but then
my home directory on my own computer is HUGE -- not a lot
of use made of subdirectories; I use file-extensions and
also naming conventions for file-names, keep around
a "ls -lsAt >! ls.dn" (also txt.dn, dat.dn, ...), and
make heavy use of egrep against them.  Deep trees, I tend
to lose things in...

---

Anyway, dates would be a nice option, provide us
with a bit of history of our browsing various sites.

---

Options could of course be multiple-char names --
we should'nt be so passive that we let keyboard
designers control how many options lynx can have!

---

Re keyboard-design, read yesterday or day before, somewhere,
about how compac and hp are thinking that for most
people the ONLY use for computers is to access the
internet, and also see the prices for hardware (the
things THEY make) coming down, but the income from
web-portals going UP, and so are trying to cut themselves
in on that web-portal income, by making deals with
a portal, AND THEN (GET THIS!) --
adding new keys to their keyboards, for eg "mail",
"www", "search", etc, with those keys factory-attached
to those particular portals -- from which they get
I forget what % of the money.

Ain't it fun selling to the great unwashed?  :-)

Or is it  :-(   ?

David