Re: lynx-dev Alert: this client does not contain support for HTTPS urls.

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Alert: this client does not contain support for HTTPS urls.
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 10:15:23 +0100 (BST)

> What on earth are you talking about?  A shell account by no means
> implies a commercial service.

Statistically it does on this list.  Are you quibbling because "account"
can also refer to a login in on one's personal PC or one's universities
mainframe, or are you quibbling that some third party dial in shell account
services are done on a non-profit basis, so might be borderline from the
RSA licence point of view.

Typical use of "shell account" on this list appears to me to be something
like the classic Netcom service.  It could also be a non-profit service
provider.  It's not the usual term for someone running the shell on their
own PC.  Personally I would say "shell login" where there is no third party
involvement.

A much better case was made for the possibility that the shell account user
had built Lynx themselves, although it seems likely that they would have
told the questioner in that case.

("account", of course, comes from the original commercial nature of computer
time, either in terms of dialup timesharing services (of which Netcom would
be a rather late version), or because the machine was owned by a company and
its cost had to be apportioned to user departments.)