Re: lynx-dev lynx: bookmarks: add today's date to entry.

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx: bookmarks: add today's date to entry.
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 06:11:51 -0400

From: David Combs <address@hidden>

> So, with my OWN program, I can sort the file whatever
> way I want.  You have no idea what I might want to
> do with it.  Just like how a developer usually gets
> totally surprised by what uses customers make of
> his software -- things he never thought of, things he
> never intended.  POWER TO THE USER -- let him/her do
> what he/she/it wants, whatever fancy hits the mind.

I understand that users want to do things developers never envisioned.
That's why I have been _trying_ to understand.  I find that when I
put things in as users ask, without understanding what they are really
wanting, I eventually discover that users seldom describe what they need,
but what they think they want.  That means I am either stuck with features
that no one uses, or change the feature several times.

I prefer to ask lots of questions to work out the requirements first.  That
way users have less to fuss about when what they asked for doesn't work they
way they thought.