Re: lynx-dev lynx: bookmarks: add today's date to entry.

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx: bookmarks: add today's date to entry.
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 14:41:09 -0700 (PDT)

> From address@hidden Fri Aug 14 16:14:48 1998
> From: "T.E.Dickey" <address@hidden>
> that's not what I meant: with the present arrangement it's trivial to
> purge duplicates from the bookmark file (e.g., "sort -u").  If it's
> hard to purge things then there should be compensating tool support
> in Lynx.

As I replied to separate msg from Larry Virden re sort -u,
it isn't so trivial if one MODIFIES the "title" part of
the bookmark when saving it.

ie, by ^u the entire line presented by the "a" command,
or just backing up and replacing words, or by simply
appending to it.

I am not sure that if this has been done (surely I cannot
be the only one doing it) then automatic uniquing isn't
possible, nor is it desirable.

Even if your sort -u "key" was just the url part -- who
is to say that the "best" typed-in-title is the most
recent one -- you might have been much "brighter" the
FIRST time you saw the site (three cups of coffee or tea or cola
(best not say "coke", with the fbi and cia and Mr. Guiliani
and Mr. Starr all watching)
having gone down the gullet) than the 2nd or even 7th
time you saw it and, not remembering you already had it
bookmarked n-times already(!), said to yourself "hey, this
is a neat site; I better bookmark this!".

One thing that WOULD be a help would be for LYNX to
hash or whatever the urls in the bookmarks, and report
at an "a" command:
  HEY!  Don't you know -- you ALREADY have that one, as:
 <list of them, with "titles" on second line, indented>
 (and numbered, for use as follows):

You can do (for now, three) things:

(1) abort this "a" command.
(2) modify the current "title" of the one
      already bookmarked.
(3) add it anyway.

What to do about multiple bookmark files, which I
  have never learned to use, I don't know.

Maybe this idea, above, will lead to some better ideas
  from others...

David