Re: lynx-dev New <BR> collapsing patch

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev New <BR> collapsing patch
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 18:09:33 -0400 (EDT)

980814 David Henderson wrote:
> This goes on the assumption
> that COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS=TRUE means use the new collapsing technique,
> and that COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS=FALSE means add a \r for every <BR>,
> regardless of the number of them encountered -- patch snipped --

using the file:

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY>
This is line 1<BR>
This is line 2<BR><BR>
This is line 3<BR><BR><BR>
This is line 4
</BODY></HTML>

with  COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS:FALSE  the patched version gives:

   This is line 1
   This is line 2

   This is line 3

   This is line 4

with  COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS:TRUE  the patched version gives:

   This is line 1
   This is line 2

   This is line 3

   This is line 4

this implements my recommendation -- thanx David:
i had found the place in HTML.c , but didn't know what to do next -- ,
ie to recognise  <BR><BR>  as if it were  <P>
-- following widespread practice out there on the WWW -- ,
but to collapse any additional <BR>'s as potentially causing problems,
provided  COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS:TRUE  .
this helps people who can't change  lynx.cfg  or don't know about it,
but doesn't allow collapsing  <BR><BR> ,
which i have argued is NOT in fact required by the HTML 4.0 specs,
which are not properly thought out or clearly enough expressed.