Re: lynx-dev New <BR> collapsing patch

From: David Henderson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev New <BR> collapsing patch
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 20:16:44 -0500 (CDT)

>> It goes on the assumption that COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS=TRUE means use the new
>> collapsing technique, and that COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS=FALSE means add a \r
>> for every <BR>, regardless of the number of them encountered.  If
>> someone wants to take this and make it a troggle (like comment parsing:
>> correct, minimal, or historic), that would be even better.

> So, absent the "troggle", this change doesn't allow for maintaining the
> current correct behavior, right?

That's right.

Should the three-way switch be in the options screen?  With a keyboard
command?  Exclusive to lynx.cfg? or .lynxrc/lynx.rc?

I could eventually implement one of these, but I know absolutely nothing
about how the lynx.cfg/.lynxrc parser is implemented, or about how the
options screen works (or will work with forms), so it might be better if
someone else could implement whichever of those choices seems best.

Regardless of how changing the "LYCollapseBRs" variable gets changed, this
would approximate the resultant change in the "case HTML_BR:" section's
"if" statement.  The spacing here is to show the flow, but should probably
be standardized before incorporating this into the code.  The "then" clause
is the same as it stands right now.

if (    (LYCollapseBRs == NON_COLLAPSING_CONSTANT)   /* 1. no collapse    */

   || ((LYCollapseBRs == VALID_CONSTANT)             /* 2. valid collapse */
       && (HText_LastLineSize(me->text, FALSE)))     /*    and something  */
                                                     /*    on this line   */

   || ((LYCollapseBRs == OPTIMAL_CONSTANT)           /* 3. new collapsing */
       && (HText_LastLineSize(me->text, FALSE)       /*    and nothing on */
       ||  HText_PreviousLineSize(me->text, FALSE))) /*    this/prev line */
   )

David Henderson
--
Star Trek?  Psi Phi!  Visit http://www.psiphi.org/ for the latest news
and rumors about "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and "Star Trek: Voyager"
<*> davidh at psiphi.org, davidh at imsa.edu, davidh at cyberdesic.com