Re: lynx-dev New <BR> collapsing patch

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: lynx-dev New <BR> collapsing patch
Date: 16 Aug 1998 11:56:56 -0500

LWV> As long as the behavior that originally was described for lynx -
LWV> that two or more br's in a row are treated as one br, remains,
LWV> then optional behaviors for this to me is no different than all
LWV> the other optional comment behaviors, etc. I see in lynx.

True.  But the current (proposed?) patch does not allow the current
correct behavior (collapse two or more br's into one br).  I would
like to see a three-way option, possibly in both lynx.cfg and .lynxrc
(a la editor choices, etc) and eventually in an options screen once
form-based options is stable:

COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS: VALID (correct behavior, multiple br's = 1 br)
COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS: MINIMAL (new option behavior, >=2 br's = 1 p)
COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS: HISTORICL (historical Netscape behavior, n br's =
                             n-1 blank lines)

With the default being subject to debate.  I favor VALID, but given
that VALID comment handling isn't the default in Lynx, why should
valid br handling be default?  Perhaps default to MINIMAL with a
comment in the lynx.cfg about the differences, and why the default is
not VALID.

| Jason F. McBrayer              address@hidden |
| The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |
| forever.                    R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |