Re: lynx-dev lynx /tmp security

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx /tmp security
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 13:22:40 -0400 (EDT)

> The main issues that Lynx has are that it tries to (a) reuse existing
> temp file and that (b) it renames (changes extensions on) temp files
yes - but it only reuses in a couple of places (they're still ugly &
still on my list).

> without requesting a new name for them.  Neither of these issues is
> particularly difficult to solve.  The first one is a non issue with
> sticky temp directories, and the other just requires that any time a
> temp file is opened it is either (a) known to already exist [was
> created via (b) earlier] or (b) opened with O_CREAT,O_EXCL.  I don't
> think truncating existing files is ever desirable, but I might have
> missed something.
If you download a file, Lynx uses the same logic for opening the file,
and so you must truncate it.  That was how I noticed it...

> It seems simple but every time I look at Lynx I get reminded that it
> really is a very large program.  Such is the web...
>
> One thing that TED had mentioned way back was something about two-
> argument open.  Is that really a concern? (does Lynx run on anything
> that old anyway?)
probably - but no one's pointed out problems with compiling the changes I made.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden